Photo courtesy of Florida International University
Thank God, it’s Friday!
We have finally made it to Friday and we are a few months away from a full Saturday of college football! One of our favorite pieces of content is “Fun Fact Friday” where we offer interesting tidbits as it relates to the current scope of college football.
If you like this article consider joining our message board or Discord server, the links can be found on our home page.
• 11% of FBS teams do not play a FCS opponent this season. This include Colorado, Georgia State, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Penn State, Texas, USC and UTEP.
• Despite losing 6-0 in the head-to-head matchup in 1936, Minnesota (7-1) claims the national championship over Northwestern (7-1) as the Golden Gophers were ranked No. 1 by the AP Poll. Northwestern lost its final game to Notre Dame, 26-6, but the final poll was released prior to the game. This was the inaugural AP Poll.
• Notre Dame was in the ACC for one season (2020). South Carolina was in the ACC for 18 years (1953-70). South Carolina was ranked for 14 total weeks in 18 years. Notre Dame was ranked 17 weeks in just one season.
• Auburn hasn’t had consecutive 10-win seasons since 1988 and 1989. Also, Terry Bowden has the highest winning percentage as a head coach in program history (.731).
• Alabama is the only program with a winning record against every team it has played at least 10 times.
• Since 1997, Georgia has made a bowl every season. Georgia’s current streak of 25 straight bowl appearances leads the nation.
• In 2014, Georgia’s longest completed pass was 50 yards. The passer was running back Todd Gurley.
• Georgia Tech has more SEC championships than South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Missouri, Arkansas, and Vanderbilt combined.
• South Carolina football has more ACC championships than Miami, Boston College, Louisville, and Syracuse combined.
• Florida International hasn’t beaten a FBS team in more than 900 days. Its last such victory was a 30-24 win over Miami on Nov. 23, 2019.